Position: Public Health Brigades Program Lead
Start Date: April 1st, 2012
End Date: October 1st, 2013
Language(s): English, Spanish
Location: Tegucigalpa, Honduras
About Public Health Brigades:
Public Health Brigades is a program of Global Brigades, a secular, 501c3 nonprofit organization of passionate volunteers who mobilize toward positive social change. Global Brigades is the world’s largest student-led global health and sustainable development organization. Since 2004, Global Brigades has mobilized thousands of university students and professionals through nine skill-based service programs to improve quality of life in under-resourced communities.
Public Health Brigades, as an integral part of the Global Brigades mission, works to empower rural Honduran communities to prevent common illnesses through in-home infrastructural development, community leader training, and health education.
• Fluent English speaker
• Advanced Spanish Speaker
• Extensive group leadership experience
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree and/or Graduate degree in a related field
• Experience in international and/or rural community development preferred
• Strong organizational and planning skills
• Project management experience
Area of Focus:
• Sustainable international development
• Development and financial management of program
• Project development and management
• Community leader mobilization and training
• Community-based health education
• Organization and motivation of rural communities and governments
We are currently in search of a passionate program lead to oversee all aspects of the Public Health Brigades program in Honduras. This work would involve collaboration with Global Brigades staff from all Honduras programs, local community members, other nonprofit organizations, and university students. Activities include but are not limited to:
• Identifying potential communities in which to work
• Interacting and developing close relationships with community members
• Organizing large community ‘town hall’ meetings
• Educating community members on the Public Health Brigades program, and the Global Brigades Holistic Model
• Identifying potential and feasible projects within the community
• Communicating with local Honduran government in setting up partnerships for projects
• Preparing pre-brigade packets and webinars for students
• Developing educational lessons, materials, and activities
• Collaborating with student groups to improve and further develop the Public Health Brigades program.
• Organizing and motivating community members
• Managing funds and purchases for tools, labor, materials, etc.
• Maintaining strong relationships with local material vendors
• On-site supervision of masons, carpenters, etc.
• Collaboration on the design and creation of marketing materials
• Translating to improve communication between community members and volunteers
• Planning and management of logistics for community visits and brigades
• Inspiring group discussions; being able to encourage and guide student thinking
• Leading groups of volunteers on weeklong brigades in rural Honduras, overseeing student safety and overall experience
• Leading and coordinating a team of GB staff (translators, drivers, technicians, etc.) during weeklong brigades
• Creation of pre and post-project documentation and brigade reports
A strong, positive, vocal, flexible, collaborative, and organized leader is preferred. The position will be mentally and physically demanding. The applicant must be comfortable walking/hiking, lifting up to 25 lbs., and performing physical labor in strenuous environments/conditions. Brigade seasons (Winter, Spring, and Summer breaks) require extended periods of long hours and few days off.
For more information on our Public Health Brigades program, please consult: http://www.globalbrigades.org/programs/public-health/objective/
All interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter to current Public Health Brigades Program Lead, Tony Guzzardo via firstname.lastname@example.org