Global Brigades Asks Every Student Leader to Attend a GB Exchange this April
Berkeley, Boston, Chicago, Austin…UC Davis, Boston University, UConn, Texas A&M…For the first time in Global Brigades history, student leaders from universities around the country are gathering to meet in person and change the way Global Brigades works. During these single-day events, student leaders share best practices, discuss common challenges and together create stronger and more unified Global Brigades chapters. This movement will change the face of Global Brigades, and we ask that EVERY Global Brigades chapter, and EVERY student leader or club member interested in becoming a leader, attend at least one of these events this April! Whether you are a new leader looking to learn more about GB or an experienced Brigader looking to pass knowledge on to others, this is the most important GB event you can attend this year. Please take a look at the below list of Exchanges and email GB Exchange Representative Orion Haas at Orion@globalbrigades.org to register now.
What happens at an “Exchange”? At each Exchange, Global Brigades student leaders (and club members!) drive, bus, train or walk to their region’s GB Exchange host campus for a one day, 9am-5pm event. The host university GB chapter has already arranged for a room, and organized FREE breakfast and lunch, so all you have to do is show up! Agendas for these Exchanges include guest speakers, leadership panels and most importantly an opportunity for each of you to share your ideas and learn from others in passionate breakout sessions. Additionally, each Exchange will have a Global Brigades international staff member, so you will have the chance to hear the latest in-country updates as well as provide direct feedback to help make your ideas happen. Before the day is over, you will be completely updated on all Global Brigades programs, you will have new ideas for fundraising, recruiting, on-campus structure and sustainable development and you will have direction and simple next steps to grow your club. All in just one day! And most importantly, you will have met like-minded students from around your campus that will be excellent contacts both in GB and after you graduate.
When and where are these Exchanges happening? Everywhere! Below is a list of the event locations, and every school (and every GB student leader) is asked to attend at least one Exchange.
- GB Exchange NorCal at UC Berkeley: Saturday, February 18 (already happened!)
- GB Exchange Boston at Boston University: Saturday, February 25 (already happened!)
- GB Exchange Chicago at Loyola University: Saturday, February 25 (already happened!)
- GB Exchange Texas at the UT Austin: Sunday, February 26 (already happened!)
- GB Exchange New York at Columbia University: Saturday, March 31
- GB Exchange Seattle at the University of Washington: Sunday, April 1
- GB Exchange Michigan at the University of Michigan: Sunday, April 1
- GB Exchange Florida at Stetson University: Sunday, April 1
- GB Exchange The Carolinas at the UNC Chapel Hill: Sunday, April 1
- GB Exchange New Orleans at Tulane University: Saturday, April 14
- GB Exchange Pennsylvania at Pennsylvania State University: Saturday, April 14
- GB Exchange Milwaukee at Marquette University: Saturday, April 14
- GB Exchange Baltimore at Johns Hopkins University: Saturday, April 28
- GB Exchange Colorado at UC Boulder: Saturday, April 28
- GB Exchange SoCal at UCLA: Sunday, April 29
Find your Exchange, contact Orion@globalbrigades.org and save the date in your calendar!
Why attend an Exchange? As Global Brigades nears 10,000 annual volunteers and spreads across North America and Europe, we are now the largest student-led sustainable development organization in the world. Furthermore, Global Brigades represents an even greater youth-led social movement for positive change across the planet. And like any social movement, we must remain united behind our vision to support rural communities in Honduras, Panama and Ghana to achieve their developmental goals and improve their own quality of life. To maintain this unified vision, it is essential that ALL of our student leaders meet together to share our ideas and together decide the future of Global Brigades, so please be there! Additionally, the Exchanges are a great opportunity to meet similar-minded students from around your region, share best practices, discuss common challenges and quickly learn from others how to make your club stronger and better. This is a huge opportunity for NEW CHAPTER LEADERS to attend to learn everything you need to know to run a Brigade. It is also a great opportunity for experienced leaders to share your knowledge and help grow Global Brigades around the world. We look forward to seeing you all at your nearest Exchange soon!
To attend an Exchange, or for any questions or ideas, please contact Orion Haas at Orion@globalbrigades.org. Please write soon as the Exchanges are quickly approaching. See you there!
With excitement and passion,
The Global Brigades Team