Greetings Global Brigades Leaders,
Global Brigades is asking all of you to stop and take some time this month to celebrate what you all have achieved within Global Brigades! Since 2010, Global Brigades began more formally encouraging its students across the world to come together and celebrate the impact of the student-led global health and development movement on one single day. With the amount of incredible initiatives going on between Honduras, Panama and Ghana and across all of your campuses we feel that one day is simply not enough, therefore, this year we will start celebrating throughout the entire month. In 2011, because of the dedication of our brigaders, leaders, donors and campus chairpersons, Global Brigades has been able to expand to more communities, has completed more projects and has been able to etablish sustainable programming in all three countries. YOU have been a key part of this and now it’s time to let others know!
A day dedicated to celebrating the IMPACT of the student-led global health and development movement!
How to participate?
1. First – Make sure you are a fan of the Global Brigades facebook page.
Everyday, Global Brigades will be posting very important announcements and videos related to future internships, exciting updates regarding programs and student resources and interesting highlights of students and community members on the facebook page.
2. Global Brigades asks that every chapter from the US, Canada, UK, Ireland and Germany choose at least ONE DAY in February to celebrate and build awareness about the incredible achievements you have been a part of! Take footage of your celebrations and share them with the Global Brigades community on facebook. The most exciting part about this month is that we hope to see students living many thousands of miles apart celebrating together and working for the same cause!
How to celebrate?
Here are some ideas:
1. Bring all chapters together and show others what your groups have accomplished. Reserve a room on campus, REALLY advertise, provide pizza or latin/ghanaian food, have a big meet-up and discuss the holistic model of Global Brigades and sustainable development.
2. Hold a fundraising event that not only raises money for your future brigade, but also raises awareness about what you and your brigade have done or are planning to do. Include pictures, slideshows and stories from past projects and brigades.
3. Hold a demonstrative event, raise awareness about the mission of your program! Set up an interactive display on campus to explain about GB programs and problems faced in our communities, and students can interact with it to fundraise for a certain project or brigade or GB in general. Need inspiration? Here are two videos that won for Most Creative GB Campus Awareness: 2010 Winner and 2011 Winner.
– Check out the
Walk for Water
. Experience what men, women, and children in countries all over the world must do just to have enough water for consumption and personal use.
– What would it be like to not read or to only have a 6th grade education?
4. Don’t have all nine chapters on your campus yet? This might be a great time to hold a GB wide info session using the materials included below.
5. Join a fair, conference, or other related event already taking place on campus – for example, fairs related to health awareness, international development, etc.
6. Host a GB flash mob! If you do this..PLEASE VIDEO TAPE IT!
7. Volunteer to speak in classes where students are studying international health and development.
8. We are sure you all can think of many more creative ideas and we absolutely can’t wait to see them!!
The countdown begins…29 days of GB CELEBRATION!
To support your event, here are some videos and materials that you can use:
Program Specific Videos: