Today marks a huge step forward for Global Brigades and our ability to bring sustainable programs to the communities we work with. We are thrilled to launch the Global Brigades Membership Program to perpetuate the momentum of university chapters between brigades and to create a recurring fundraising stream for chapters to remain active on campus into the future and assure their continued work in the communities we serve.
Why a Membership Program?
One of the largest reasons why GB Chapters fall off is because of lack of recurring support from donors. Brigades come and go and great work is done, but if the university chapter does not identify new leadership to perpetuate and donors to engage, the mission of the organization on campus can crumble. The Membership Program is a way for GB alumni and donors to continue to support both the chapter they participated with and the international organization to perpetuate programming between brigades. It is also an opportunity for Global Brigades to expand its reach and cultivate the next generation of leaders in international health and development.
Thousands of students are graduating each year and thousands more are still in school aspiring to develop a career path in global health and economic development. They look to Global Brigades for job opportunities, educational content, internships and mentorship, but there was not a formalized structure to enrich their careers and to engage them before and after Brigades.
We designed the Membership Program so that ANYONE (GB volunteers, non Brigaders, donors, and graduates) can contribute to sustainable development programming and can benefit from additional educational and volunteer activities, as well as access to jobs, internships and conferences.
Additionally, chapters have the option to set a monthly or annual membership contribution that assures their financial sustainability into the future. A low monthly contribution of $5/month will dramatically affect the ability of chapters to organize local awareness events, purchase medicine or other supplies for their brigade, make extra donations to their community, or simply go toward scholarships for students to participate on brigades. Most importantly, the Membership Program empowers chapters to earn recurring monthly or annual donations that can cumulate and protect the chapter’s presence on campus into the future and assure that volunteers continue making the impact in the communities we serve.
How it Works:
To become a Member of Global Brigades, go to your University Chapter page on Empowered.org and click the “Become a Member” button. If your Chapter has required a Membership contribution, then you will be asked to make a monthly or annual donation. These donations are split 50/50 between the chapter and Global Brigades nationally to perpetuate year-round community development programs.
What Are the Benefits of Being a Member?
In addition to knowing that your support will result in an amazing contribution to both the chapter and to Global Brigades in-country teams to perpetuate community development work, Members will receive a variety of other benefits including:
- Priority Consideration for Internships, Fellowships and Full-Time Jobs. The Member portal (to be launched in October 2012) will consist of professional opportunities both within Global Brigades and other partner organizations, including positions that have been specifically created for students and alumni of Global Brigades.
- Free Registration at GB Membership Exchanges and Special Offers at Other Industry Conferences: Join other Global Brigades Members in your region for informative and enriching interactive weekend Exchanges to discuss health and develop topics. Additionally, receive Global Brigades negotiated discounts at international conferences organized by other leading organizations.
- Discounts on Online Certificate Programs: Members will receive discounts on three online certificate programs delivered by professors at accredited universities to supplement Members’ educational experience in: “Global Health,” “Economic Development” and “Nonprofit & Social Enterprise Leadership.” Discounts available immediately for courses to be offered Spring 2013.
- Discounts for Graduate School Test Preparation and Counseling: Members pursuing medical school and/or graduate school will receive discounts with our exclusive test prep partner Kaplan and graduate school advising partner Inquarta (Inquarta provides counseling for those who want to go to Medical School or obtain an MBA).
- Access to the Empower Partners Incubation Initiative: For Members with new or innovative ideas to solve social challenges or improve upon Global Brigades’ programming. Qualifying Members will be lent Global Brigades’ 501c3 tax status, receive start-up funds, become eligible for grants, provide tax receipts to donors, and given consultative support from GB founders and marketing team to develop their idea.
For more information on the Global Brigades Membership Program, please contact Christie George at Christie.George@globalbrigades.org.